Saturday, November 15, 2008
Singapore- Day 1
We made it to Asia!! Barely...We had to suffer through two excrutiatingly long flights. The flight from Seattle to Tokyo from 10 hours and the flight from Tokyo to Singapore was 7 hours. They fed us twice and i watched 3 movies and slept for about ten hours. When we FINALLY got to Singapore it was about 12:35 in the am. Singpore looks like a regular city, almost like Los Angeles. Except it is 500 degrees here and about 100% humidity. We took a shuttle to our hostel, called the Backpackers Cozy Corner. That is when we found out...our reservations were for the 16th and 17th, and not the 15th and 16th. They had no rooms available except for a dorm style room for three and one open space in someone else's dorm (which means us four wouldve had to split up). So we decided to go try the YMCA to see if they had any rooms. Thank god for Lonely Planet book and the maps in there. We walked to the YMCA and they had rooms but they were sooo expensive. So we decided to suck it up and go back to Cozy Corner and sleep in the dorm rooms (YUCK). When the guy showed us our room I about died. It was on the roof, literally. All four walls were open but there was a roof. Abotu 5 people were already in it sleeping. They handed us some sheets and said goodnight. Luckily, I bought a silk travel sheet at REI and I slept in that. Those sheets looked gross. Tonight we will stay in the same place, but now they have private rooms available with air conditioning. THANK GOD. Words cannot describe how humid it is here! I tried to straighten my hair, what a waste. It went wavy in about 5 seconds. Oh well, I can deal with it. Today we are going to Sentosa Island and hopefully the night Safari at night. The weather looks like a huge typhoon is about to blow in. Oh yeah, and we TOTALLY stick out like a sore thumb here. I am about 2 feet taller than EVERYONE in this country, minus the other tourists. People just keep staring at us..lol. Alright, off to get some food. Just took my malaria pill on an empty stomach, that wasnt a good idea./...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Bridget,
"When the guy showed us our room I about died. It was on the roof, literally." When I read that part of your blog, I pretty much died...of laughter!!! Hahaha, your trip is already becoming an awesome adventure.
The other sentence I like was, "Words cannot describe how humid it is here! I tried to straighten my hair, what a waste. It went wavy in about 5 seconds." AAHAHAHA!!!
I say this with all honesty...I am proud of you. Seriously, I know what its like to be out of your comfort zone, but being able to deal with it, tells you a lot about yourself, so congrats hon! I'm sure this trip will teach you a lot about Asian culture and a lot about yourself.
Hang in there. Also, PLEASE KEEP posting your hilarious blogs HAHAHA.
Have a blast!!!
Post a Comment